Rene’s Accident and Salvation

Category: Testimonies

In 2006 my life was turned upside down.  I was on my way to work,  jumping on my motorcycle and heading down the road just like every other morning.   Suddenly I saw a vehicle swerve into my lane, and I swerved too, but he still hit me.  I don’t remember the impact; I just remember lying in the grass screaming, because my leg was hurting.  I did not realize the extent of my injuries.

Two men that were passing by stopped to help me. One of the men kneeled down next to me and told me help was on the way and tried to calm me down.  He kept me talking. I told him about my wife and my three children.  I gave one of the men the number to my job and asked if he could notify them.  I know it sounds crazy that I knew my work number, but for the life of me, I could not remember my wife’s cell number.

Then a state trooper showed up and called for an Airlife Helicopter, that’s when I knew I was in bad shape. At that point I started to panic more; I kept wondering if I was ever  going to see my wife and kids again.  The helicopter landed and they stripped me and loaded me on the helicopter and headed for the Hospital.

I arrived there at 6:10 a.m. and was taken to the operating room right away, spending twelve hours in surgery.  I remember waking up and seeing my wife. Then I saw all these tubes and needles in me and I started freaking out.  I immediately started trying to rip out the tubes and then they tied me to the bed.

I don’t remember much of the first week I was in I.C.U.  The second week, I was moved to a regular room and that’s when I found out what happened.  I broke my femur, ruptured my quad tendons in my knee, shattered my ankle and broke my hand.  I also broke my foot and cut an artery in my foot and nearly bled to death.  Originally I was going to lose my leg, but the surgeons took a chance to save it and it worked.

I spent a month in the hospital, and had nine surgeries and two blood transfusions.  In the hospital I couldn’t eat or sleep, all I could do was think.  I started thinking about how my life was going to change; it scared me to face reality.  All my life I did what I wanted to do. I took a lot of things for granted, my wife, my kids, I even took my life for granted.  My reality now was that I would be in a wheelchair, or wouldn’t even be able to try to put weight on foot, for at least three months.  I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed on my own or bathe myself or even use a regular bathroom.  I was basically a baby again, depending on someone else to do everything for me.

The doctors would tell me every morning that is was a miracle that I was even alive: I never wore a helmet and yet I had no head injury.  My head landed about a quarter of an inch from a metal pole.  I was doing about 85 mph when the car hit me and when I would think about that, I realized it was a miracle that I was alive.

So in the hospital I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and decided to give my life to God.  When I said the sinner’s prayer with my uncle (see below) in the hospital, I felt a ton bricks lifted from my body and I was able to sleep after that.  Before that moment I used to cry all night long wondering how I was going to get through this, now I know that the Lord is going to get me through this.  I used to worry about a lot of things, but the Word of God in Mathew 6:33-34 says, “but seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” That just reminds me that God knows our needs and as long as we have faith in him he will give us what we need.

I thank God everyday for my life and I thank him for my family.  I especially thank the Lord for making my wife the woman that she is.  It’s been five months since my accident and four and one-half months since I found the Lord, and life couldn’t be better.  Everyday I see the little miracles in my life and all the Glory goes to God.

Today I am still recovering,  but through the Grace of God I am out of my wheelchair and walking with a cane.  The doctors had told me I wasn’t going to have feeling in some spots of my foot, but also again, by the Grace of God, I have full feeling in my foot.  If you are like I used to be you probably ask, “what’s God done for me?” How has he blessed me lately? Why should I give thanks? And I say to you: ask yourself that question when you make it to work or wherever you go on a daily basis safely, or when you are running around playing with your children or sleeping in bed holding  your wife.  Those are a few blessings from God I used to take for granted and I couldn’t do those things for awhile, but now I can.

Everybody in today’s society thinks that the rich people are the blessed ones, but when you really take the time to look at it, we all have thousands of blessings we should be thankful for.  It’s a shame we don’t realize the things that bring us true happiness are the little things we take for granted, like walking with our children or just being able to carry them to their room when they fall asleep on the couch.  I just ask that whoever reads this takes the time to give thanks to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the blessings and miracles he works for all of us whether we realize it or not.


Rene’s uncle, Herbie, prayed with him to receive Jesus.  Herbie went through the 12 Foundation Stones course and helped for years with our weekly prison ministry and at the Teenage Shelter. “Teaching others to teach others!” (II Timothy 2:2)